Pouchmail: Combining Snailmail and Sewing




If you are like me you probably have a bunch of pouches lying around in your house. They are very easy to accumulate through gifts, subscription services, and makeup purchases. In fact, I have an entire drawer full of pouches that aren't being used. One night as I was falling asleep I came upon the realization that I could send the pouches in the mail. So this blog post will give you step by step instructions of how to create pouchmail!




Below is a photo of my first pouchmail creation. 
The pouchmail below was created using a pouch from the Simply Gilded Subscription Box and it successfully reached my penpal. This pouch was made out of a clear vinyl, which allowed stickers to stay on the pouch. But today I am showing you how to make a fabric pouchmail!




The Supplies:
  1. Fabric Pouches 
  2. Thread 
  3. Paper
  4. Thick cardstock to fit into the envelopes
  5. Scissors
  6. Stamps
  7. A Needle
  8. Optional: A small hole punch 





Step 1: Cut Paper to fit onto the Pouch

I decided to use a watercolor paper for two of the pouches that I created. It is important that you use a thicker paper, such as a cardstock or blotting paper so that the paper will not tear as you are sewing or shipping it. Make sure you give yourself enough room to write the address out. 




Step 2 (Optional): Use Holepunch to create holes for stitches

This is an optional step. By punching holes, this makes it easier to sew the paper to the pouch. I did this with only one pouch but did find that it did make it easier to sew. This step also will not dull your needle. If you opt to directly sew onto the paper make sure you use a needle that you are alright with going dull!







Step 3: Sew Paper onto Pouch

You will begin sewing your pouch after you thread your needle and make a nice knot. In order to hide the knot make sure you begin the sewing process on the inside of the pouch. 


An Important Note: I highly recommend using a thicker thread in order to sew your paper onto your pouch. I am using vintage rug thread (a personal favorite to sew with). I also used a thicker silk thread. Embroidery floss, twine, and string are all great options!






Step 4: Place Cardstock into Envelope

Because fabric pouches are inherently bendy it is important to place a piece of thick cardstock into the pouch. This will allow the pouch to have some rigidity. Even with a letter or card placed inside it is important to give your pouch mail some extra strength. 





Step 5: Affix Stamps

I decided to use 3 USPS forever stamps on the pouch, this will cover any non-machinable surcharge and additional ounces that may be taken up by the letter. I highly recommend using craft glue or an adhesive to adhere your stamps to the pouch. Please check with your local post office for any questions about postage. 


I haven't shown the address or address label to protect my privacy. Always use a return label but most importantly have fun! 




Comments

  1. Sounds simple enough. I think I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I was able to inspire you!

      Delete
  2. What were the dimensions of the pouch? Did it arrive safely to it's destination? What if the zipper opens? Lol sorry for all the questions - definitely a cute idea that I'd like to try! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your questions! I have successfully sent over 10 pouches through the USPS. I have also successfully sent them internationally. I either tape down or sew the the zipper down on the pouch. I have had no issues with the pouches being tampered with or opened. The pouches I have sent are 6 inches by 4 inches! Please let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete

Post a Comment