Mini Mail: Who knew wax seals could be so cute!


Today I wanted to show you how to make Mini Mail! It is one of my favorite craft projects and is very simple to do! It can be used on the back of envelopes, to decorate cards, postcards and so much more! Follow along on this step by step tutorial!
Mini Mail using recycled cardstock

Mini Mail made with Copic markers and sealing wax


































The Supplies:
  • Markers/Pens
  • Paper
  • A stick of sealing wax
  • A lighter 
  • Scissors 
  • A glass tipped pin 


Materials for Mini Mail!

Important Note:
After many different attempts, I have found using a glass tipped pen is the best for making mini mail. Plastic pins can melt and stick to the hot wax. Glass headed/tipped pens can be found on Amazon or Ebay. If you are lucky enough to have your grandmothers/mothers trove of vintage sewing accessories there might be glass pins in that trove!


Step 1: Draw the mini envelopes or cut rectangles out of paper

Mini Mail: Drawn with Muji pen and Tombow Marker

Mini Mail made with Echopark paper squares










Paper scraps adhered to Paper 



Mini Mail can be created with many different types of craft products! Most of the paper that I use in Mini Mail are bits of recycled paper or scrap paper from other projects.






















Step 3: Place mini sealing wax dots onto envelopes

Before I detail this process I want to issue a brief warning on using sealing wax. It is very easy to burn yourself using sealing wax so PLEASE be careful. I don't want anyone to have scorched fingers. 

I have found that using the wax stick and lighter method is the easiest way to make mini wax dots. It takes a bit of patience so I recommend testing out your wax dotting skills before using it on your final project. 




Step 4: Use Glass pin to create the look of a wax seal!

After dabbing hot wax onto your envelopes place your wax seal down (make sure the flame has been distinguished!). It is imperative to quickly place the pin in the wax seal before it drys. Warning: the wax will dry very quickly so make sure you are ready to use the pin!






Because of the nature of sealing wax, it is highly likely you will get whisps of sealing wax across your page. These can be easily removed or you can keep them for added whimsy to your project.



Step 5: Enjoy!




I can't wait to see what y'all create! Please ask any questions in the comments below. Thank you so much for reading!









Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new blogspot Liv💕

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried making my own seal "coin" out of DAS, didn't turn out too bad, but I can't remember where I put them when I had a "tidy"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a smart idea! I want to start experimenting to create mini seals, but that will be a long process!

      Delete

Post a Comment